Ingredients for the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed or minced)
- 3.5 ounces breadcrumbs (a standard American slice of bread weighs about 1 ounce)
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the cream sauce:
- ⅛-tsp of oil
- 1.5 ounces butter
- 1.5 ounces plain flour
- 5 fluid ounces vegetable stock
- 5 fluid ounces beef stock
- 5 fluid ounces thick double cream
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Preparation of meatballs:
- Combine the beef and pork and mix thoroughly to break up any lumps. Add finely chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mix. Add milk and season well with salt and pepper.
- Shape the mixture into small, round balls. Place on a clean plate, cover, and store in the refrigerator for 2 hours (to help them hold their shape while cooking).
- In a frying pan, heat the oil on medium heat. When hot, gently add your meatballs and brown on all sides.
- When browned, add to an ovenproof dish and cover. Place in an oven heated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for another 30 minutes.
Preparation of cream sauce:
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Whisk in the plain flour and continue cooking, stirring continuously for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and beef stock and continue to stir. Add the thick double cream, soy sauce and Dijon mustard.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken. Continue to stir.
- When ready to eat, serve over the meatballs along with your favorite potatoes -- either a creamy mashed or mini new boiled potatoes.