(or White) Covered Bridge alongside KY 1159 near
County. ca 1880. (Rebuilt in 2002.)
John Hultgren, Louisville, Kentucky
Photo may not be reproduced, copied, archived, or retransmitted without
Digital, 200 ASA, 28 mm focal length, 1/20 sec, f/22, 10/23/2003 10:11 EDT
- Walcott or White Bridge was first
constructed in 1824. It was rebuilt in 1881 and remained at the
original site until 1999. Severely damaged in the floods of 1997 and
1998, engineers determined a location about 400 feet east of the
original site would be better for the bridge's chances of survival.
The bridge was reconstructed in 2002.
- The bridge once carried KY 1159 across Locust Creek in Bracken
county at Woolcott or Walcott, north of Brooksville. It is a 74-foot combination king and
queenpost truss design and is no longer in use.
- The bridge was privately owned until
1953, when it was deeded to the Bracken County Historical Society
(and then to the Department of Parks in 1993).
- During the Civil War, the bridge played
a part in the Raid on Augusta. Basil Duke's men came through it on
the way to Brooksville on Sept. 27, 1862.
- East side (right side) of SR 1159 over Locust Creek. Locust
Creek is approximately 0.03 miles north of SR 9 (AA Highway).
- Location: N38°
43.979' W84° 05.940'
This page is part
of a frame. If you reached this page without the frame listing all of Kentucky's
covered bridges, click